Campground Rules & Information
see House Rules for rooms in the Guest House
Check-in time is between 2 pm – 7 pm.
Check-out time is 11am.
Quiet time is from 11 pm to 7 am.
Washrooms are closed from 11am to 1pm for cleaning.
Covid-19 Safety Measures effective for 2020 and possibly 2021
Use of telephone for emergencies
Use of Property
Use of the Community Building
Smoking, Fires and Storms
Community Building and Shared Facilities
Food and Compost
Garbage and Recycling
- The first night is non refundable.
- Reservations cancelled within 7 days will be charged in full.
- If the rental period is 4 days or longer and the reservation is cancelled within 14 days, the cancellation fee will be 25% of the booking price.
- Reservations may not be exchanged or transferred to another party.
Covid-19 Safety Measures
Guests must comply with the following Covid-19 safety measures:
- Guests are expected to respect any community building and guesthouse closures and to follow the physical distancing requirements of 2m with other guests.
- Guests should bring their own hand sanitizer and are asked to practice appropriate hygiene. If you are sick, please visit another time.
- Guests also need to take personal responsibility for their own safety, refraining from touching surfaces unnecessarily and washing hands or using hand sanitizer frequently.
The nearest landline telephone is in the main house and may be used for emergencies. There is a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall inside the community building.
Emergency services – Dial 911
Report a Fire – Dial 1-800-663-5555
Kootenay Lake Hospital is open 24 hours a day at 250-352-3111, 3 View Street, Nelson BC V1L2V1
Slocan Valley Medical Clinic, 250-226-7111, 3120 Slocan Park Road, Slocan Park, V9G2E0
Use of telephone for emergencies
There is a landline telephone in the Guesthouse.
In return for permission to use the campground located at 4011 Barbados Road, the guest booking a reservation on this website, and all the members of his(her) camping group(they), agrees as follows:
- Assumption of Risk: I (and they) assume all risks of injury, sickness, death or property damages resulting from our use of the campground facilities.
- Release: I (and they) release and discharge the Indemnified Parties from all claims that we may have against them for injury, death or property damages resulting from our use of the campground.
- Hold harmless: I (and they) will hold the Indemnified Parties harmless from, and indemnify the Indemnified Parties for, any claims for injury, death, or property damages resulting from our use of the campground.
- Effect of the Indemnified Parties Negligence: This Agreement will apply even if the injury, death or damages result from any Indemnified Parties’ negligence, passive or active, including gross negligence.
“Indemnified Parties” means: Thomas Smith, of 4011 Barbados Road, Winlaw, BC, V0G2J0
“campground” means the entire property and facilities including but not limited to all buildings
“use of the campground” means all activities involving the campground and facilities during the period of the reservation of the guest and members of his(her) camping group, and in getting to and departing from the site.
Guests must let us know at the time of booking if they would like to bring a pet, what type of pet it is and add the pet service fee for each pet to their booking. We reserve the right to not accept certain pets and in particular we are not accepting guard dog breeds of any kind including but not limited to German Shepard, Doberman, Rottweiler, Bull Mastiff, Schnauzer, Boxer, Bull Terrier, etc.
Pets must be on a leash at all times. Pets are not allowed in the community building.
There is wildlife here. Your pet must be under control at all times, with you, and never left alone. There are neighbourhood dogs that are attracted when there are pets here and there is additional work to clean up after them. Do not let your pets wander off to do their business, dig holes or chase other animals or wildlife. Our neighbours have free run chickens.
Pick up after your pet. Do not use plastic bags. Use our shovel and put it in the designated dog poop bucket and cover it with sawdust or flush the poop down the flush toilet
Do not use our blankets or towels as beds for your animals. Do not allow dogs to bark or howl for periods of time when this will disturb others.
Guests are responsible for any kids that are part of their reservation at all times. Do not let kids climb up onto any roofs. Please ask your host for a safety orientation if you have any questions or concerns. Small children must always be accompanied by an adult.
Use of property
Pack it in, pack it out. Leave no trace.
Property use is limited to the number of people listed in the initial booking. Guests may not invite visitors to the property without approval of the host in advance. Competitive, commercial or group use requires permission. Unless you have booked a room in the house, access to the house or the fenced area is not included. Please respect the peace and quiet of others. Keep noise to a minimum at all times. Power generators may not be used in the campground. Do not drive over vegetation. ATV use on the property is prohibited. Keep roads clear. Do not empty your holding tank. Always keep gates and doors closed, to keep dogs in and deer out. Please be mindful of all people and things living here. Please respect other guests space and property. Do not damage property or build long term structures. Do not discharge firearms, bows, crossbows or set traps. Keep the grounds clean and natural and return your site to its native condition before leaving. Please put things back where you found them. If you have an issue with something, please give us the opportunity to rectify it. Please be responsible and courteous to the others staying here and especially our neighbours.
Please don’t enter our neighbours property. Do not leave the property other than via the driveway. The property boundaries are marked with flagging tape. If you are unsure where the property lines are, please ask. The property is 4011 Barbados Road, Winlaw, BC
Reasonable use of the shared amenities is free for guests. Clean dishes immediately after use and place them in the rack to dry. Please recognize that we are on a septic system and be mindful of what goes down the toilet, sinks or septic drains. Do not put toxic substances into the septic system. Please store all food in mice proof containers or in the rubber-maid bins provided. We do not have a problem with mice, but we also do not want to create one. Use the garbage or compost bin for any solid wastes (see below). Please leave the community building, kitchen and common areas clean. Reasonable use of the showers is free for guests. Do not use towels to mop things up off the floor, or wash your car etc, use the rags provided in the Community Building.
Use of Community Building
Free reasonable use of the Community Building is allowed provided the guest is respectful of others and keeps the place clean. The intent is for intermittent use and not for continuous use. Sleeping in the Community Building, or storing belongings (other than food) is not allowed. The laundry machines are for housekeeping only and are not for the use of guests. Reasonable use of the building and kitchen, kitchen supplies, bathrooms, sink, fridge and stove is okay as long as they are left clean. We are trying to be as green as possible, so please hang the dish towels and rags to dry and reuse them more than once. Pets are not allowed in the Community Building. Do not adjust the settings of any heaters. Please turn off all lights and the ceiling fan when not in use.
- There is a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall of the community building.
- NEVER leave the wood stove unattended with the door open.
- Guests may use their own clean fire wood in the wood stove, not painted or other construction wood waste. Fire wood may be available for purchase upon request.
- Note where the damper is on the wood stove. Open the damper to light as it brings in the most oxygen. Close it after about 10 minutes to slow burn the wood. When there are already a couple of inches of hot coals inside the stove, do not cram it full of wood and leave the damper open. The stove will get too hot. If you add wood over hot coals, just add one piece at a time, and remember to close the damper.
- When the wood stove is hot, cook on it to save electricity, and keep a pot or kettle on it filled with water for ready use.
- To avoid a fire, hang clothes at least 2 feet away from the wood stove. Hang clothes to dry as much as possible.
- Use the iron poker to remove the fire stone blocking the hole to the ash box. Ask the host to demonstrate.
The WIFI code will be supplied to you when you arrive. Depending on what time of year you visit (summer or winter), we have a download speed of 10 or 15 Mbps, an upload speed of 3 or 5 Mbps with a data transfer limit of of between 350 or 500 GB/month. Please inquire in advance if this is important to you. This service is shared simultaneously with all guests, so if there are numerous other guests onsite, please limit your use with respect to large file sharing, streaming, online gaming or “parking” on it for hours at a time.
Smoking, Fires and Storms
Firewood is available for purchase. Smoking is allowed outside only. All buildings on this property are smoke and incense free. Consider your neighbours and future guests. Please use ashtrays, and dispose of butts in the tin cans provided. Extinguish all smoking material in a safe manner, and do not throw butts on the ground. In times of high fire hazard, please be very careful with sparks. We reserve the right to implement a fire ban.
Food and Compost
Be Bear Aware – All food must be kept in cars, in the community building or cached up a tree with rope. Leave compost materials (fruit and vegetable waste, coffee grounds and filter, egg shells, pits, etc.) in the bowl in the fridge that is in the community building. Do not put labels or plastic in the compost (minimum fine $1 million).
Garbage and Recycling
As much as possible, if you pack it in, please pack it out. Garbage (not compost or recyclables) may be disposed of in the large garbage can in the community building. Throw recyclables (paper, cans, bottles, cardboard, clean plastic, etc.) into the blue receptacle in the community building.
There are two dry (composting) toilet buildings with bucket toilets. Cover the excreta in the bucket with the sawdust provided after every use. Do not put anything in the bucket except excreta, urine, toilet paper and sawdust. If the bucket gets full, please switch it out with another dry empty bucket with 2″ sawdust and put a lid on the full bucket. Thanks!
Please remember to turn off any lights or appliances that are not being used. Please be energy conscious. Thanks! If there is an electrical storm, unplug all electrical appliances (computers, TV, lights, etc.) to prevent damage from a surge when the power comes back on. We are on a well, so if the power goes out, the pump stops working. Do not use water during a power outage, or the pump switch will need to be reset before the water will come back on. If there is an electrical storm, unplug all electrical appliances (computers, TV, lights, etc.) to prevent damage from a surge when the power comes back on.