In addition to the campground rules, these rules apply to guests that are occupying rooms in the Guesthouse.
- There are fire extinguishers in the house and in the living room closet and in the upstairs hallway.
- There is bear spray in the community building.
- Please pull plugs out of the wall during electrical storms.
- The water shut off is in the laundry room between the washer/dryer and the hot water tank.
- If a breaker goes, the main electrical panel is behind the curtain in the closet beside the wood stove.
- Don’t use much water during a power outage (no flushing) because if the pressure tank gets drained, the pump switch will need to be activated again. It is located in the small pump shed beside the garden. Instructions for activating the switch are in the pump shed. Essentially, remove the grey cover off of the switch. Be careful not to touch the live wires. Lift the switch up until you hear the pump go on. Hold the switch in the up position as the pressure rises (see the gauge). The pump will shut itself off when the tank is sufficiently pressurized. Replace the grey cover.
Use of the House
- The landline phone in the Guesthouse does not have free long distance service. Please use a calling card or ask to borrow the Magic-Jack internet phone if you want to make long distance calls within Canada or the US.
- Fire extinguishers are in the living room closet and in the upstairs hallway.
- Water shut off is in the laundry room.
- If there is an electrical storm, unplug all electrical appliances (computers, TV, lights, etc.)
- All smoking outside.
- All dogs outside, usually. Dog poop goes in the wire-surrounded compost pile in the yard south-west of the house. Please dry dog-feet before letting dogs into the house.
- Limit laundry to one cycle per day for better septic function.
- Pack it in, pack it out.
- Always keep the outside gates closed, so that deer/bears do not come in.
Kitchen & Recycling
- Please leave the kitchen and common areas clean.
- Use the stove timer if you are setting a burner on high. The elements get very hot.
- Please remember to leave the tap off in the cold position.
- Clean dishes after use and place in rack to dry. The cast iron pans and wok must be cleaned, and dried, immediately or they rust.
- All food waste goes into the green bucket, that lives in the refrigerator door. If the bucket gets full, let the host know and store any excess food waste in a plastic bag or bowl (ideally in the fridge), or put it into the compost bin outside the side door on the west side of the house.
- Do not put labels or plastic in the compost.. Cleaned plastic bags go into the cloth bag by the stove. Cleaned hard plastic, metals, cardboard and glass goes into the cardboard recycle boxes in the front hall.
- Please put all garbage in the garbage bins or the green garbage cans in the storage room.
- Paper products go into the recycling boxes in the hallway. Please flatten all paper to save space.
- Please do not leave water on the floors or counter.
- Please leave sink and counters dry.
- There is a fire extinguisher in the wood closet in the living room and another in upstairs hall.
- Never leave the wood stove unattended with the door open.
- When there are already a couple of inches of hot coals inside the stove, do not cram it full of wood. If you feel the need. just add one piece of wood or it will get too hot.
- When the wood stove is hot, cook on it to save electricity, and keep the blue kettle and ceramic humidifier filled with water for ready use.
- Hang clothes to dry as much as possible to save electricity (except towels, they are better in the dryer). Hang clothes at least 2 feet away from the wood stove (fire hazard).
- Plug in and turn on the air filter full blast while collecting the ash. Use the iron poker to remove the firestone blocking the hole to the ash box and also the little brick to the left. Dump ashes into the pyramid pile 30 yards from the front door